Campaign Against Antisemitism is calling on all newspapers never again to publish articles by the journalist Mira Bar-Hillel following a spate of Jew-baiting tweets, culminating in today’s sickening mockery of the editor of the Jewish Chronicle, Stephen Pollard, for expressing concern over the danger COVID-19 poses to him due to his leukaemia and how the global pandemic is forcing him to come to terms with his condition.
Ms Bar-Hillel, who worked for the Evening Standard for 30 years, has over the past couple of months posted a series of appalling and incendiary tweets, including:
- Suggesting that “the loudest Jewish voices demand a monopoly on the Holocaust”;
- Replying to the disgraced Labour activist Rachael Cousins (also known as ‘Rachael Swindon’) to say that “Zionism” was going to take over the Labour Party;
- Reiterating the claim that the Chief Rabbi and a prominent Jewish communal organisation are “staunch Tories”, a popular refrain for those claiming that prominent Jewish figures spoke out over antisemitism in the Labour Party due to a secret partisan agenda and scapegoating the Jews for the defeat of Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party in the General Election;
- Circulating the false claim that Israeli Jews were responsible for the tragic death of a boy in a well, who had in fact been drowned by rainwater;
- Implying that the Jewish community is in fact selecting the Labour Party’s new leader and suggesting that the Jewish community is involved in a “purge” of “socialists” from the Party;
- Stating that “lies” are the “stock in trade” of individuals and organisations fighting antisemitism in the Labour Party, redolent of the prevalent belief among some that Labour’s institutional antisemitism crisis is a ‘smear’;
- Insinuating that the Government is avoiding criticism for its policies on the Coronavirus outbreak because it can hide behind claims of antisemitism against its opponents;
- Saying that “The ultimate irony is that the top tip in the (forged) Protocols of the Elders of Zion [an antisemitic tract from Czarist Russia that purported to show that Jews control the world] was ‘control the means of communication’. So, in 2020, far from being (wrongly) blamed for EVERYTHING, Jews must now not – even if guilty – be blamed for ANYTHING on pain of non-platforming”; and
- Stating that “Jews never liked schwartzes”, using a Yiddish term for black people.
Reaching the climax of her animus, Ms Bar-Hillel has now tweeted a response to an article by Mr Pollard in which he describes the effect of the coronavirus on his life-threatening cancer and emotional wellbeing.
As Mr Pollard expressed in raw and heartfelt terms the feelings of many others in the current ‘high-risk category’ who fear that COVID-19 may kill them, Ms Bar-Hillel responded: “So @stephenpollard, the self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of who is and isn’t a proper Jew, witchfinder general of antisemitic Jews and enabler of Boris’s landslide, is crying himself to sleep as he contemplates his demise. It would take a heart of stone not to rejoice.”
With such a record of spewing revolting and prejudiced bile, no newspaper should ever publish Ms Bar-Hillel again.
Please join us in reporting her Twitter account.